Dry, damaged or dehydrated hair got you down?
Before you go dropping dollars on expensive hair treatments at the salon, I have rounded up my top 8 hair masks to DIY at home.
From honey to coffee, sugar and of course, coconut oil, the list of hair saving ingredients in your pantry is endless.
So break out the whisk and mixing bowls, its time to DIY your way to healthy hair!
1. Coconut Oil, Sugar and Essential Oils
Change of season got you itching for a soothing scalp mask?
This is the perfect hair mask to DIY to stop the scratching.
Whether it's from blasting the AC in winter or the heater in summer, the sunshine or icy air or just anything to do with spring, the seasons seem to send our scalps scratchy.
This is because dehydration caused by the weather conditions causes our scalps to become flakey, which is not only ick but also super uncomfortable.
It also makes our locks look dull and lifeless.
But fret not my human snow machines, this DIY hair mask will have your heads healed in no time.
With coconut oil to soothe the scalp and reduce inflammation, sugar to scrub away dead skin cells, peppermint oil to promote circulation and tea tree to fight bacteria, your hair will be back to its shiny self in no time.
- 2 tablespoons of unrefined coconut oil
- 4 teaspoons of raw sugar
- 5 drops of peppermint oil
- 2 drops of tea tree oil
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl
- Apply to clean damp hair in the shower
- Massage into your scalp for 2 - 3 minutes
- Clip your hair out of the way and allow the mixture to sit for at least 5 minutes
- Rinse thoroughly
2. Green Tea and Apple Cider Vinegar
A cup of green tea makes everything better, and your hair is certainly no exception.
With a string of health benefits longer than your Pinterest wish list, green tea is also a super scalp soother.
This cup of goodness is full of nutrients and antioxidants to calm your scalp while apple cider vinegar helps to rebalance your pH levels.
This hair mask to DIY also contains peppermint oil to reduce inflammation and help hydrate your scalp.
Here is how to make this hair mask at home:
- 1 cup of green tea
- 2 drops of peppermint oil
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- Mix ingredients together
- Apply to clean, dry hair
- Leave for five minutes
- Rinse well with lukewarm water
3. DIY Coffee Hair Mask
Coffee doesn't just give you what you need to wake up in the morning (and not punch people in the face), it has heaps of hair benefits too.
Caffeine promotes hair growth, fights hair loss, improves blood flow, and exfoliates your scalp.
So while you're brewing your morning java, you might want to whip up this coffee hair mask at home too.
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of ground coffee
- Add olive oil and honey to a bowl and combine
- Add coffee to mixture and stir until a smooth paste is formed
- Apply to clean hair and leave for 20 minutes
- Rinse well with warm water
4. Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
Locks lost their lustre?
Boost that shine and balance that pH at the same time with this simple DIY hair rinse.
Apple Cider Vinegar helps to close your cuticles and gives you silkier strands then, well, actual silk.
It is also better than any anti-frizz serum you can shop at Sephora.
While dipping your head in ACV might not sound great, you should be doing this once or twice per week.
So how to create this hair mask at home?
- 1 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups of water
- Mix ACV and water in a bottle
- Shampoo your hair as normal
- Apply ACV mixture to towel-dried hair
- leave for 20 minutes
- Rinse and condition your hair 5 minutes
- Shine bright like a diamond
5. Coconut Oil Over Night Mask
No DIY hair mask list would be complete without a simple coconut oil concoction.
And by concoction I mean, just coconut oil, you don't need anything else.
She is still the reigning queen of at-home hair treatments for some very good reasons.
One, coconut oil is hydrating as hell.
Two, it's cheap.
Three, it heals your scalp and helps with hair growth.
And four, it helps de-frizz your hair.
Seriously I could go on forever about coconut oil and hair.
But for now, I'll just stick to this at home hair mask you should be using, especially if your strands are dry.
Here is how to use this DIY coconut oil hair mask:
- Coconut oil
- Apply as much coconut oil as needed to your roots and ends of your hair
- Wrap in a hair turban overnight
- Wash as normal in the morning
- Repeat once a week
the Medium Halo #613
6. Honey, Egg and Apple Cider Vinegar
Dry hair? You should care!
And here is how to!
Take your locks from brittle to beautiful with this hydrating hair mask to do at home!
It has honey and egg to help hydrate your hair and seal in nutrients, while ACV boosts shine and beats frizz.
It is also packed full of protein to help strengthen your strands.
Here is how to DIY this hydrating hair mask:
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. You might need to half or double the recipe depending on the thickness of your hair
- Apply the hair mask to the lengths of your locks and sparingly in the roots
- Leave for 30 - 40 minutes
- Rinse with warm water
7. Avo and Olive Oil
Not just great for toast, turns out everyone's fav breakfast food is also great for your hair.
This is a simple, soothing and super powerful DIY hair mask for damaged hair.
Olive oil and avocado are packed full of omega-3 and fatty acids to give you the ultimate boost of strength and shine.
It also has antioxidants to fight free radicals and pollutants that cause your hair harm. It also helps to rejuvenate and repair the scalp.
Oh, and olive oil almost gives coconut oil a run for its money in the hydration department too!
But before you go smashing the avo straight on your head, here is how to DIY this hair mask, properly.
- Half an Avocado
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Smash the avocado with a fork and combine with the olive oil
- Apply to wet hair using your fingertips and pull your hair into a bun
- Cover with a shower cap
- Pro tip: Blow-dry the shower cap for 10 minutes to help activate the ingredients
- Leave for an additional 10 minutes after blow-drying
- Rinse in the shower
8. Honey, ACV and Coconut Oil
Brighten up even the dullest manes with this shine-boosting, rejuvenating, and all-round hydrating hair mask to DIY.
Keeping your hair hydrated and healthy is key when it comes to keeping it bright, shiny and full of body.
Unhealthy hair is just dull and blah, so beat that by repeating this mask fortnightly.
Apple cider vinegar is the best ingredient to boost glossiness, while coconut oil repairs dead ends and seals in hydration.
And honey, honey let me tell you, this sweet stuff contains boatloads of emollient and humectant properties to smooth strands and add moisturise.
So here is how to stir up this DIY hair mask for shiny strands:
- Equal parts raw organic ACV, coconut oil and honey
- Combine ingredients and apply to clean damp hair
- Leave for at least 20 minutes
- Rinse and wash hair as normal